WHOI Proposal GuidelinesPlease contact Ann Stone at 508-289-3837 or email@example.com prior to completing a CINAR proposal to let her know your plans - Please provide the following information in an email:
1. PI's name
2. Amount to be funded
3. NOAA Line office ( NMFS, OAR ect ...)
4. The program manager's name (Individual providing the funds)
5. Please confirm that the NOAA Program manager is aware of CINAR's Task 1 2017 Fee of 3.6% of the total project ( direct and indirect costs) and has provided the information as how it applies to your proposal.
Proposal dates must be within the current cooperative agreement period - ending June 30, 2019.
Grants.gov package sample (to be opened in Acrobat in order to view comments)
Please download the appropriate grant application package from grants.gov (http://www.grants.gov/web/grants/applicants/download-application-package.html) using one of the two federal funding opportunity (FFO) numbers assigned to CINAR:
(for all funding through OAR or any other line office EXCEPT NMFS)
(for all funding through NMFS ONLY)
Grants.gov application page information
For the first page of the grants.gov application package, please use the following naming convention in the Application Filing Name field: WHOI Proposal #, Institution, PI Last Name (based on the following example) - CINAR 12345.00 WHOI Anderson
Please make sure that the Abstract and Project Description both have a footer (e.g. – Abstract CINAR 12345.01 WHOI Anderson – page 1 of 1; Project Narrative CINAR 12345.01 WHOI Anderson – page 1 of 12)
Project narrative contains (in the following order):
1. CINAR current Coversheet
2. Abstract (NOAA requirement for all CI proposals)
3. Project Description (We recommend that you refer to the NOAA CI Proposal Application guidelines)
Note: File name of Project Narrative should not exceed 50 characters - use: Project_CINAR_####_##WHOI_PIlastname
**** YOU MUST PLACE IN THE PROJECT NARRATIVE THE FOLLOWING STATEMENT;
Task I activities relate to the management and administration of CINAR, including support for the CI director, administrator, and support staff, as well as travel, supplies, and education and outreach activities.
Please make sure that the Budget Narrative has a footer (e.g., Budget Narrative CINAR 12345.01 WHOI Anderson …. Page 1 of 14)
Budget narrative contains (in the following order):
1. Budget justification
Include specific details of what is being purchased and why, referencing sections in the WHOI budget (for example: 6. Other 1.a). Also, a "generic" item such as "Laboratory Supplies - $2,000" should be detailed in the justification, i.e. glassware, chemicals, rubber gloves (or whatever). Try to avoid using the words “miscellaneous”, and etc. as much as possible.
If you are including any supply items over $5,000, please include:
- A description of the item and how it will be used in the project.
- A statement describing “lease vs. purchase” – why you are buying the equipment rather than leasing (if it is unavailable for lease, you can state that.)
For outside services where an individual is named, especially subawards, a sole source justification statement is needed.
2. ****WHOI budget (from WHOI grants)****
Please go to this link "HOW TO" on WHOI GRANTS (a .pdf) for putting the CINAR TASK 1 on your WHOI Grants Budget.
3. 424 R&R report (from WHOI grants)
4. Negotiated rate agreement (WHOI's negotiated rate agreement online -http://controller.whoi.edu/geninfo/gov_reports.html )
5. Subaward documentation (if applicable). Subaward 424A is included in Optional Other Attachments
Note that the File name of Budget Narrative should not exceed 50 characters - use: Budget_CINAR_####_##WHOI_PIlastname
**** YOU MUST PLACE IN THE BUDGET NARRATIVE THE FOLLOWING STATEMENT;
For budget narrative:
Funds toward Task I activities are budgeted. These activities relate to the management and administration of CINAR, including support for the CI director, administrator, and support staff, as well as travel, supplies, and education and outreach activities.
NOAA Budget (Form 424A)
This is required as part of the grants.gov package. Note that if your budget includes a subaward, a 424A form for the subcontractor will be required as well as the normal justification and documentation from the subawardee.
Please see example 424A and note that if the proposal is for more than one year, the Direct and Indirect costs for each year needs to be broken out on Section F (#21 - Direct Charges, and #22 - Indirect Charges) (e.g., Yr 1. - $10, Yr 2. - $20)
WHOIgrants, green sheet and routing process
- Please allow “default access” to Ann Stone in WHOIgrants
- In WHOI grants, select “NOAA cooperative Inst.” as Agency. For division, select the NOAA line office that will provide the funding – for example NOAA-OAR, NOAA–NMFS, NOAA-NOS. Select "CINAR" as the Program.
- Proposal dates must be within the current cooperative agreement period - ending June 30, 2019. Start date must be the first of a month and typically begin at least two months after submission of the proposal. (To avoid delay, please contact Ann Stone regarding suggested dates prior to finalizing your proposal.)
- Email complete packet to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Once you have been given the green light, you can proceed to route through the normal WHOI Grants process
- Please indicate under special instructions that the Grants.gov notification confirmation and agency tracking numbers are to be sent to email@example.com
- Please record name and full address of the program sponsor (same as CINAR cover letter in the whoigrants distribution page).